How to Renew a Passport:
Adult US passports are good for ten years. Passports should be renewed at least nine months before expiration to account for processing time. Additionally, if your Passport won’t be valid for at least six months, you won’t be able to travel to several countries. Renew a passport through the mail is simple. However, you might need to renew it in person if you require expedited processing or have unique circumstances.
- Completing Your Renewal Application
- Renewing through the Mail
- Applying for Renewal in Person
Completing Your Renew A Passport Application:
Get Your Old Passport:
You can renew your expired passport if it is in good condition and was issued within the last fifteen years. You must submit a new application if your current passport is older than that or has significant damage.
- If your passport was issued before you turned 16, you could not renew it either.
- Your passport will require proof of your name change if it differs from your legal name. You might want to apply in person rather than mail in these materials.
Get New Passport Photos:
You must provide fresh photos taken within the previous six months when renewing your passport. Although it may be possible to save money yourself, hiring a professional is usually more convenient.
- If you choose to take your photo, visit The ID King website to review the specifications. There is a link to a tool to crop your picture to the appropriate size on that page.
- Many pharmacies and cheap retailers offer passport photo services. You can be sure that your photo will satisfy the State Department’s criteria for only a few bucks, on average.
Download The Correct Form:
Fill out form DS-82 if you renew a passport via mail. For in-person passport renewals, you will need form DS-11. Both forms are available for download from the US State Department website.
- Visit the forms page. The form can either be filled out online and printed or downloaded as a PDF and printed out.
- If you are applying in person, do not sign the DS-11 form until you arrive at the Regional Passport Agency.
Choose A Passport Book, Passport Card, or Both:
Passport cards are required for travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean by land or sea. A passport book is necessary for all foreign flights.
- Get the passport book, which is acceptable for all foreign travel by land, air, or sea, if you’re unsure which you’ll need.
Check Processing Time Online:
Travel, State, and Gov have the most updated estimates for processing times. Seasonal variations in processing timelines mean that depending on when you intend to submit your application, it can take longer.
- If you choose normal service, it usually takes 6 to 8 weeks to get a new passport; if you choose accelerated service, it takes 2 to 3 weeks.
- You can apply in person and receive your new passport in 8 days if you have travel plans in the next two weeks.
Renew A Passport Through The Mail:
Gather Required Supporting Documents:
You’ll need a filled-out Form DS-82, your old passport, and a current passport photo to renew a passport by mail. A marriage certificate or court order establishing the name change will also be required If it has occurred since your last passport.
- If feasible, request a fresh certified copy of the document from the state agency or court that issued it if you file name change paperwork. It’s a good idea not to submit your sole copy of your documents even though you will return them because They may come in handy anytime.
Payment Of Passport Fees:
Without the necessary passport costs, your application cannot be processed. The price for a passport book is $110, a passport card is $30, and both cost $140 as of 2018.
- Payable to “US Department of State,” make your check or money order. Write your birthdate and real name in the memo line.
- Pay an extra $35 fee if you want fast processing. This needs to be a different check, payable to the location where you mail your application.
- To ensure you have the correct amount, check the State Department website for the most current fees.
Organize Your Application And Documents In A Large Envelope:
Make sure the envelope is large enough to hold everything without folding.
- Never join any of your documents or application pages with staples or paperclips.
Mail Your Paper Work Using USPS:
Depending on where you live and whether you want fast service, you can mail your application to one of three addresses. The only carrier that can deliver post office boxes is USPS. Thus it would help if you utilized them. So that you can track the delivery of your documents, use a trackable delivery method.
- Send your documents in California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or Texas to the National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 640155, Irving, TX 75064-0155.
- If you reside in another nation or state and require standard service, send your documents to the National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 90155, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155.
- Send your documents to the National Passport Processing Center, PO Box 90955, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155, for expedited service. Before addressing the envelope, mark the outside with the word “EXPEDITE.”
Online Application Status Check:
Wait for 7 to 10 days after mailing your application or until you get a delivery confirmation. Then check the status online.
- To access your account, you must provide your last name, birth date, and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
Receive Your New Passport:
If you selected regular service, your new passport should appear in the mail six to eight weeks after Submitting it. If you choose expedited service, your new passport will arrive in the mail in two to three weeks.
- You will receive your old passport book or card back. It is normally sent apart from your new passport book or card.
Applying for Renew A Person:
Visit A Regional Passport Agency:
Make an appointment to renew a passport in person by calling 1-877-487-2778. A 24-hour automated system is available here.
- The nearest Regional Passport Agency will instantly offer you appointment alternatives.
- The online appointment system for passport services is also available.
Gather The Required Documents:
Only individuals who would not obtain their passports via mail in time to travel are eligible for in-person renew a passport. For this reason, you’ll need to provide evidence of immediate travel, such as airline confirmation. Additionally, you’ll require your most recent passport, a filled-out passport application form, two passport photos, and the applicable fees.
- You will require proof of the name change if it has occurred since you last applied for a passport, such as a certified copy of a marriage certificate or divorce decision. After being examined, I will give these papers back to you.
- Additionally, you must present proof of US citizenship if your previous passport is lost or damaged. You will typically bring a birth certificate issued in the United States, Naturalization, or citizenship certificates.
- A government-issued ID is also require. If you don’t have your old passport or it is damaged, you can use a US Driver’s License, government-issued ID card, government employee ID, or US military ID. Usually, this will be your former passport.
Make A Photocopy Of Your ID And Citizenship Evidence:
If you don’t have your old passport, make copies of the front and back of your ID and the proof of citizenship you are presenting. I will keep the photocopy but will return your originals to you.
- Your photocopy cannot be double-side and must be make on normal white paper. If you’d like, you can increase the size of document images; do not lower them.
- You can also obtain a second certified copy of your documents if you don’t wish to make a photocopy of them. Won’t give back this second copy.
Get A Check or Money Order For Your Fees:
The cost for a passport book is $110, a passport card is $30, and both cost $140 as of 2018. In addition, there is a $35 acceptance fee if you submit your application in person. These costs need to be covere separately. The US State Department receives one, while the Regional Passport Agency receives the other.
- You will have to pay an additional $60 if you require your passport within eight days due to an emergency or have planned travel within the next two weeks.
- You might contact the Regional Passport Agency to inquire about the accepted payment methods. They all accept checks and money orders, but some might take major credit or debit cards.
Submit Your Application And Evidence At Your Appointment:
Go to the Regional Passport Agency on the day of your appointment with your application, any necessary supporting documentation, and your price payment. A staff member will verify your documentation’s accuracy and witness your signature on your application.
- You will be give your original documents back along with a receipt. For your records, keep the receipt.
Return To The Passport Agency To Get Your New Passport:
When your passport is ready for pickup, you’ll get a notification via email. If you require it immediately, you can either mail it or pick it up from the Passport Agency.
- It can take 5 to 10 days from the date of your notification before you obtain your passport if it is mail to you.